Saturday, April 18, 2009

Altered Letters

Looks hard, but soooooo isn't, and it's tons cheaper than paying $10-$20 per letter to get them custom made. I did Makenna's for her room, and I'll be doing the new baby's too. In fact, I already bought the letters for the wall. I did these for a friend. The picture is not that great, but believe me, the letters looks so cute in her room.
My friend Terani and I just did these for her son's room. We kept them simple, plus we couldn't really figure out how to embellish them since it was a for a boy. Couldn't use flowers now, could we?

All you need is to do them are:
- cutting mat
- exacto knife
- mod podge
- patterned paper of your choice
- embellishments of your choice.
- Glue to apply embellishments. (glue dot, liquid glue)
- some type of roller/brayer to help get the bubbles out. (you could use a small cup)
- letters from craft store (I got mine at Hobby Lobby...for once again....50% off.)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Trace the letter on the back side of the paper (front of the letter face down on the back side of the paper)
2. Cut letter out.
3. Apply Mod Podge glue EVENLY to your letter.
4. Lay cut out paper carefully on top.
5. Roll Brayer over it.
6. Wait till it dries, and then use exacto knife to cut off any edges left on.
7. Here's where you have the option of sanding and inking the edges if you want like we did with the Jayden letters.
8. Apply Mod Podge on top again for sealant now.
9. Embellish with Ribbons and flowers or whatever.
10. Repeat for the rest of the letters.

Seriously, if I made this sound hard...it's not. And stick with my motto: "You can always fix a mistake!"

No comments: